Thursday, January 30, 2014

Reflections #1

My Immunology class has been going on for almost three weeks now and I thought it was a perfect time to reflect. This class is very valuable for my future career in medical laboratory science (MLS). As a medical laboratory scientist, I will be a part of the diagnostic team. I will be the one running laboratory tests and reporting the laboratory findings such as any diseases or abnormalities found to doctors. Medical laboratory scientists are important because doctors base most of their decisions, like the type of treatment the patient will receive, off of the laboratory findings. In the first lab, I had a glimpse of what medical laboratory scientists do. We had the opportunity to count different leukocytes in a blood smear. Last week we also did a case study, we were assigned a medical scenario where we had to diagnose what the problem was. It was my first case study and it really made you think.
Although the class is very fascinating, I am having a little difficulty trying to keep up at the moment. I also find the class pace a little on the fast side. However, this could be because I did not have much of a background that is why I wish I was able to take Histology because it would have helped me at least with the basics. However, it is only the beginning of the semester and I will get back on track. I am looking forward to what this class has in store this semester. 

For more information on medical laboratory science click on the following link: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Healthcare/Medical-and-clinical-laboratory-technologists-and-technicians.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment